01 02 03 Pinterest 911: Who is in the mood for soft, buttery, flakiness? 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Who is in the mood for soft, buttery, flakiness?

34
Have you ever wanted the taste of something savoury wrapped in a buttery puff pastry and either didn't remember to grab some at the store or have the time to create your own? That was me 2 nights ago...PapaBear has been bugging me to make the heavenly Brie pockets I found on Pinterest a while back. I warn you be prepared for delicious goodness if you decide to give these a go. There will be no turning back once you POP! one of those little darlings in to your mouth. In the past I have made them with a store brand Puff Pastry but this time around I decided I wanted to try a homemade version of the dough. Silly me, not realizing that Puff Pastry takes at least 1 day to make, I waited until 2 hours before dinner to get started. In my rush to carry forward with my plans for dinner on our HOT, HOT summer day I did some looking around on the Internet for a good puff pastry recipe. I came to find out that many chefs actually use a short cut when making their pastry with a recipe known as "ROUGH Puff Pastry". Have you ever heard of such a thing? Perhaps I was just out of the loop on this one but not any longer. In my new search I found a recipe from a well known chef from the UK; Jamie Oliver...LOVE this guy! His recipes are always simple, easy to follow and best of all DELICIOUS! I had all of his ingredients on hand so I decided to give it a shot...with Mouth Watering results.


For Jamie's Rough Puff Pastry recipe you will need the following...


2 Cups (8oz) Plain Flour
Pinch of salt (I used a couple of turns from my Sea Salt shaker)
1.5 sticks (6oz) Butter
Just under 3/4C (5 fl oz) Ice Cold Water


Mix the flour and the salt into a bowl. Cut the butter into walnut size pieces and add to the flour. 


Add half of the water, and cut the butter in to the flour with a pastry cutter (as seen in the picture) or a regular butter knife. Keep adding small amounts of water until a stiff dough is reached. By the end of your cutting stage the butter should still be in chunks.




Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a small rectangle. Fold into thirds, turn your folded dough once clockwise and roll out into another small rectangle. Fold your rectangle again into thirds, turn once clockwise and roll out into another rectangle. Repeat this step 2 - 3 more times until all the butter has been properly incorporated into the dough.





Chill for 30 minutes in the fridge. If your weather is hot and humid like mine then chill your dough in the freezer for quicker set up. 

From this stage you will use the dough as you would normally, when taking it from a store bought box.






 Trust me when I say that after you see how easy this is and how DELICIOUS it turns out, you will be hard-pressed to take the easy way out and buy it ever again.  


Here is a quick shot of our dinner the other night that both PapaBear and JrBear raved about...I paired our Heavenly Brie Pockets with a Summer Fresh Fruit salad that had extremely fresh raspberries, compliments of our neighbours garden.






I have not tried it myself as we used all the dough I made but Jamie says that this dough also freezes well.


Be Brave and Try Something New Today...feel free to share your comments below...I would love to hear from you.





Labels:

35 36 37 38