01 02 03 Pinterest 911: Now, Those Are Some Cheeky Dogs! 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Now, Those Are Some Cheeky Dogs!

34
I have always been a fan of the chili dog, but ever since being diagnosed with Crohn's disease years ago I have not been able to really enjoy one. The spice in the chili is always too much for my poor stomach and I have to walk away. I have been on the search for a good chili without the beans and low on the spice but have not found one that still tastes good without those added options. The other day Our Best Bites sent to my inbox an answer to my question...Will I ever be able to eat a chili dog again? ...introduing "Saucy Dogs" although not spicy but instead sweet, with my added twists quickly grew into "Saucy Chili Dogs"...not on buns but on Chunky Garlic Bread. Sound delicious? Want to make some for yourself? 

You will need the following to get started with my adapted Saucy Chili Dog recipe:

8 Slices of Bacon
1 Medium Onion
5 Cloves of Garlic
1/2 Lbs of Ground Beef
1 Bottle Heinz Chili Sauce
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
1/2 Cup Apple Juice
12 Hot Dogs
Garlic Bread

Begin your creation by frying your bacon slices in a pan until crispy and follow the directions on your package of garlic bread for oven temp to cook it.

While those slices are crisping and the oven heating, it is time to brown up your hamburger meat...that can be done a couple of ways, in the microwave for 5 minutes at a time in a heat proof dish, taking it out in between to drain the grease and chop up the meat with your spoon, or on the stove top in a frying pan. I leave that up to you how you want to brown your beef...just make sure to remember to drain your grease out of the dish either way you choose to cook it.

With the bacon done, remove it from the pan, making sure to leave the drippings behind.



After mincing up your onion and garlic cloves, toss them in to the leftover bacon drippings and saute them until softened and caramel in color.



Once you have reached saute perfection it is time to add in your brown sugar, yellow mustard, apple juice, crumbled bacon and beef. Mix them all together well and heat to a boil, at which point you can toss in your hot dogs and continue heating for another 10 minutes.



This is also a good time to toss your garlic bread in to the oven for its 10-15 minute cook time so that everything is all ready at the same time for serving.

Once it is all cooked and heated through, it is time to slice your bread in to large chunks...



Top with your DELICIOUS sweet chili sauce



And Serve with a side of vegies....



SOOO GOOD!





I can't believe I forgot to top it all off with cheese and green onions but those are also options you can feel free to add in if you like. I know I will be!

Now Go Be Brave...and try something new today! If you happen to have a Chili...I mean an actual CHILI type recipe that would be Crohn's friendly, Please, Please, Please by all means share it below...I still crave that particular flavor although today's recipe helped appease that desire somewhat.



Labels:

35 36 37 38