01 02 03 Pinterest 911: Buttermilk Tip Tuesday 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Buttermilk Tip Tuesday

34
Ever go to make that delicious recipe....your mouth is watering just thinking about it and then you realize...No Buttermilk. What a let down...but seriously how many of us actually keep buttermilk around on the off chance that we might need some? I know I definitely do not do that and so to keep from being disappointed I use something my MamaBear taught me a long time ago when I was learning to bake...

Homemade Buttermilk:

For this you will only need 2 ingredients...


Milk
Vinegar





All you have to remember for measuring this out is 1 to 1 ratio ..for every one cup of milk you will need one tablespoon of vinegar.

Measure out one cup of milk and to that add in your one tablespoon of vinegar...then let it sit for somewhere around 5 minutes at which point you should start to see the milk curdling....

And there you have it fresh, homemade substitute for store bought Buttermilk.

In my searches online I have also come up with some other ways to create a buttermilk substitute. Although I have not tried them yet myself I thought I would share them with you as you may prefer one over the other.

Mix 1 3/4 Tablespoons of Cream of Tartar into 1 Cup of milk.

Mix 1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice and top up to the 1 Cup mark with milk. 

Mix 2 Tablespoons of Milk with enough plain yogurt to make up a total of 1 Cup.

Thin your sour cream with milk until you have the buttermilk consistency.

The Cream of Tartar and Lemon Juice mixes require you to leave to curdle for 5 minutes before using. Whereas the Sour Cream and Yogurt only require that you mix them and use right away.

Do you have any other ways to create buttermilk that isn't listed above? If so please feel free to share with us all below...we would love to hear from you.



Now Go Be Brave...and try your hand at making buttermilk today.



Labels:

35 36 37 38